Elimination of Second-hand Smoke
The primary goal of this program is to decrease the effects of secondhand smoke on individuals and families within the community and move toward the eradication of secondhand smoke.
This will be achieved through a variety of science-based strategies aimed to:
- Educate people about secondhand smoke and the Alaska Tobacco Quit Line.
- Assist individuals, families and businesses with accessing resources including the Alaska Tobacco Quit Line.
- Support individuals in their efforts to delete exposure to secondhand smoke.
- Improve the health and well-being of the community decreasing tobacco related morbidity and mortality.
Strategies for decreasing secondhand smoke in Seward include:
- The development of voluntary smoke-free policies in worksites.
- Collecting data regarding knowledge and understanding of secondhand smoke.
- Working with low-income housing authorities to educate renters about secondhand smoke.
- Promoting the Alaska Tobacco Quit Line.
- A long term strategy is to pass a smoke-free ordinance in Seward.